Happy Holidays!

I hope that everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving and that you have an even better Christmas! In spite of the cold weather, crazed shoppers, and the excessive amounts of calories I intake, the holiday season has always been my favorite time of year. Even more so this year, when I have so much to be thankful for.

I'm going to keep this entry short as I have little news and even less time to write. I mainly wanted to hop on just to follow up on the whole hearing-aid fiasco as it's turning out to be. The visit with the audiologist at the end of October went well and was incredibly helpful. At the end of all the testing and talking, I ended up with my top choices being the Phonak Cros and the SoundBite, with the SoundBite being my 1st choice. At this point, it's going to come down to cost and ease of upkeep/maintenance since I'm planning on hauling one or the other with me to Ecuador in a few short months.

As of the moment, the Cleveland Clinic is working with my insurance company to see if they are willing to cover the cost of the SoundBite. Since it's a brand new device and doesn't have a designated billing code yet, most insurances are hesitant to cover it. However, if they do, it would actually end up being cheaper than the Phonak Cros.

So for all of you who are in my shoes or may be in this position following surgery, here are some of my pros and cons for these two devices (as I see them) based on my conversation with the audiologist and after trialing each of them. (Please note that neither of these devices will aid you with the localization of sounds and noises. It will help you hear sound on your deaf side but, as the audiologist informed me, sound localization is one aspect of hearing that cannot be replicated or fixed with an aid.)

Phonak Cros:

Pros
  • Small and relatively unnoticeable
  • Can be put on and removed easily
  • Sound quality is good (uses air conduction)
Cons
  • Is mildly water-resistant, but not waterproof
  • Requires a new battery every 2-3 days
  • Requires you to wear devices in/on both ears
  • A mic is inserted into your good ear which may impede hearing
  • Costs upwards of $2500

Soundbite

Pros
  • Small and relatively unnoticeable
  • Only have to wear a device on your deaf ear
  • Can leave the mouthpiece in at all times (including during eating)
  • Has a rechargeable battery
  • Sound quality is good (uses bone conduction)
Cons
  • If insurance doesn't cover it, costs upwards of $7000
  • Is a new device so there isn't too much information on it terms of patient reviews, long-term quality

So that's how I see things at this point. The insurance company's decision is really going to be the deciding factor at this point. There's also a good chance I may put off getting an aid until I return from Ecuador just due to finances. While I would love to have "both ears" as I venture into a new, non-English speaking country, I've managed to get by for five years without an aid and I'll continue to make do.

I'll continue to keep you up to speed as things unfold. If any of you have experience with either the Cros or SoundBite, I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Happy holidays and keep turtling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave