So about that hearing aid...

For any of you who are still reading this blog and are bound and determined to see this hearing aid debacle through to its end, I wanted to let you know about the most recent turn of events.

Several days ago, I received a lengthy but polite letter from Medical Mutual stating, in so many words, that they would in no way assume responsibility for the cost of the SoundBite device. I am more than welcome to submit an appeal free of charge within the next 180 days if I feel that I have a good reason to appeal. Or if I feel that the decision is just ridiculous. (It may not have said exactly that.) Which of course it is.

I told myself that I would not use this entry as a rant against the injustices and evils of the insurance industry but I would like to say just one thing. If insurance companies cover prosthetics which are defined as "artificial substitutes and necessary supplies that replace all or part of a missing body organ or limb and its adjoining tissues; or replace all or part of the function of a permanently useless or malfunctioning body organ or limb," then why, may I ask, is this device not covered? Isn't my completely deaf right ear a "permanently useless or malfunctioning body organ?" And isn't the SoundBite an "artificial substitute" for said useless ear?

That's all. Just needed to point that out to anyone willing to listen.

I do understand that since the SoundBite is a brand new device which doesn't yet have a billing code, there are other issues at hand. But I guess I'm just really frustrated that 10 months and 1 brain surgery later, I'm still running into obstacles in my quest to find an effective, somewhat affordable hearing device.

If I was going to be in the states this upcoming year, I probably would have considered going the appeals route. But I certainly don't want to leave my parents in the middle of a knock-out, drag-out fight with the insurance company while I jump the border. So that leaves me with my final option, the Phonak Cros.

Right now, though, I'm leaning more towards no hearing aid at all. Like I've mentioned before, I've got along this far without one and what's one more year? I feel like it's turning in to more trouble than it's worth. And, honestly, I'd rather not have to deal with a brand new piece of medical technology and its upkeep while adapting to life in a South American country.

Soo...if anything else should change in this department prior to my departure (say, a mysterious red and white clad benefactor leaving me a brand new hearing aid under a certain green bush in my living room), I'll be sure to let you all know. If not, then have a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year's and I'll be in touch in June after I've had my one year MRI to make sure Izzy is good and gone.


Until then, happy turtling!

Comments

  1. Hi Amanda!
    Insurance industry sucks. And probabily you could fight if you were in the USA next year.
    Can I ask you if you tried the devices you talk about? My doctor told me that as I have my left ear working so good a hearing aid would cause more problems than benefits (as noises). Can you breafly explain your experience? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Antonietta,

    Yes, I'm definitely not a fan of America's medical insurance! I'll probably go with the Phonak Cros eventually. Or just give it some time and see if the SoundBite will get insurance coverage once they finally get a billing code.
    I did try the Phonak Cros and liked it.It's super light and unobtrusive and it was amazing to finally pick up sounds and voices that I had been missing for years. The only thing I didn't like was having something inside of my good ear. While it technically didn't block any sound, it just made me feel like it was hampering the one ear I can hear out of.
    I didn't specifically try the SoundBite since it has to be molded to your teeth. But I did try a sample BAHA device that was placed on a little headband behind my ear. I didn't notice a huge difference between that and the Phonak Cros, so for me personally I would be fine going with either option. To me, the sound quality was pretty much exactly the same
    HTH! Oh, and have a Merry Christas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,
    Thank you so much for all of your posts! I had my surgery in late June and reading your blog beforehand and post-surgery really helped me get through a scary time.
    I just want you to know that someone truly benefited from your blog and appreciated all of the tips you provided.
    Hope you had a great Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
    Best of luck with your hearing aid...
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen,

    I'm so happy to hear that my experiences with an acoustic neuroma has helped you to deal with yours. It is a frightening situation and I really wanted this blog to be able to do exactly what you said it did for you. Thanks so much for your kind words and I wish you all the best in this New Year!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave