Hello, friends!

I'm so thankful that my recovery process has continued to speed along without any more major obstacles. After all the ups and downs of the last two months, it's great to wake up consistently feeling great and with only tiny reminders that I ever had brain surgery.

But sadly all of this smooth sailing means I have less and less to chat about and, well, what can I say? I miss you guys! This experience has not only allowed me to "meet" some great new people but it's reminded me of how much I enjoy blogging. Perhaps a new blog of my everyday rants and ramblings will be in order?

In the meantime, I do have a few updates to share.

I'm happy to announce that I have completed my physical therapy (I've got the t-shirt to prove it) and was sent home with only a few exercises to continue doing (though I can't say I've been faithful about keeping up with them). Overall, I rarely experience balance issues anymore and that's certainly been a huge factor in my failure to continue using my exercises. The only time I find myself teetering is when I turn my head just a bit too quickly when walking along--usually when I'm in conversation with someone and I'm turning my head back and forth to look them in the face and also keep an eye on where I'm headed.

Although it's been difficult having to start from square one in regards to my normal exercise, I have been trying to motivate myself to get up and get moving. It's a bit depressing how quickly we fall out of shape after all of the time we put in to getting into shape. But I am making strides forward. I've continued to work through my Zumba routines along with throwing in some hiking, yoga, Pilates, jogging, etc. Anything to get me going again. Yes, my arms are still sore and my right arm still doesn't want to extend all the way--it's getting close but it's not all there yet. So any sort of arm routine or exercise that requires me to put a lot of stress on my arms is still out of the question. My right hip (where the fat was removed) is still a little tender too and doesn't like to be laid on which makes doing Pilates rather difficult. Frustrating, yes, but I'm doing my best to be patient and do whatever exercises I can.

My right eye has continued to pick up the pace with its blinking and is motoring right along like a champ. It still lags behind my left eye a little and if you watch me closely you can see it. It's also still slightly larger and still requires the drops and lubricant to keep it moist and happy. I'm headed back to see Dr. Woodson in October and I'm praying the little guy is A-ok by then.

My hair has grown back about an inch so it looks like I'm averaging about 1/2" a month. (The area over my scar is still completely hairless though so it looks like those hair follicles are gone for good.) I used to take hair vitamins and I think I'll probably start that up again to give it a little boost. Although I must say, I really have fallen in love with my shaved 'do. If anything, it has inspired me to not only be more daring with my hair but to embrace a more gutsy attitude toward life.

The purchase of the hearing aid is still on hold. Mainly because I'm only working part-time at the moment and am in the middle of searching for a new, full-time position elsewhere. Once I'm settled in and earning a regular paycheck again, the Phonak Cros will be the first thing on my To Do list.

I know there are several ANA AN-ers out there who had surgeries scheduled for the end of June and beginning of July so I hope that you're all continuing to recover well and know that I'm keeping you all in my prayers. :)


Happy turtling!

Comments

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling more like your normal self on a consistent basis. The little improvements did eventually add up to something much bigger and better. I wish you well on your October follow up at the Clinic, especially your eye. I am due at the Clinic myself on Oct 15 for my one year MRI to check for regrowth of my residual tumor - about 5% was left on the facial nerve at the IAC and a thin part of tumor capsule on the brain stem. Maybe Oct will be a good month for both of us.
    Again, congratulations on the way you handled the time leading up to the surgery and the way you have made your way through your recovery to date.
    No one can write well, as you do, without the ability to think clearly. So, keep doing both in a lot of different ways. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog from the ANA website. I have my Translab. operation in a few weeks so I am poking around to see how your recovery has been for you. I purchased the Phonak Cros system about 6-9 months ago as I can hear, but cannot comprehend speech in my right ear. I have been using it when necessary (work, outings, etc). The Cros system takes some getting used to. Life now sounds like I am listening to everything through a baby monitor (equivalent sound quality) and although they say that the system is completely transparent in that it does not block sound in your good ear, it actually does block it a bit. That being said, I enjoy the system and will continue with it over the BAHA. Plus the Cros looks cool :)

    Anyway, just wanted to comment and say thanks for the posts on your recovery process and to give you info on my experience with the Cros system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! Even though I know that I want some sort of assistance with my hearing I am still a bit hesitant about getting an aid. Especially since I've made it five years without one. I really appreciate hearing about your positive experience with it and think that the CROS is the thing for me. Just need to save up a bit more before taking the plunge! :)

      Glad the blog was of help to you and I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I know I had quite a few as the date of my surgery drew closer.

      Cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave