6 weeks post op!

Happy summer everyone! I couldn't be more thankful that the beginning of my favorite season and my six week milestone are just two days shy of each other. The fact that I'm able to get out and do some of my favorite summertime activities has truly been the icing on my cake. This week I managed to go swimming, biking and tubing all without any adverse effects (and very little fatigue). The plan is to continue challenging myself by gradually increasing my activity level and the variety of activities. I'm thinking maybe a hike for this coming week?

My MRI came back with excellent results. Iggy appears to have left the building for good and I won't need another scan until next May. My follow-up with Dr. Woodson went almost as well. She very impressed with the improvement in my balance and was nearly as happy as I was that my smile had returned fully. The only wrench in the works was my right eye. It still doesn't blink properly, tear, or close completely. So instead of coming back in a year, I'm due to go back in four months just to be sure that it has resolved. I'm not sure what steps will have to be taken if it doesn't, but I'm trusting that it will heal in good time.


Now for the exciting news. Dr. Woodson finally gave me the all clear to pursue hearing aid options since I've reached a satisfactory level of recovery. Let me just say that after five months of waiting, I wasted no time in scheduling an appointment with a local audiologist. I've already decided against the BAHA or any surgically implanted device (having Iggy removed was enough) and am planning to trial the Phonak CROS. They recently updated this product and their latest version has been met with great reviews. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am about the prospect of hearing "normally" again. There will definitely be plenty more on this to come so stay tuned. 



ȍȌȍTURTLE TRACKSȍȌȍ
  • Not only did I drive in the dark this week, but I also made the hour and a half trek to and from Cleveland on I-71. Oh, and I rode shotgun while my permit-carrying little brother went out for his second drive. Ever. Yes, I'm living life on the wild side.
  • My balance continues to improve by leaps and bounds--I now resemble a normal person when I move my head while walking (still not quite ready to whip my hair back and forth though). Wes has been really impressed with my progress and I'm thinking I'll only need a couple more therapy sessions.  
  • You know the deal with my arms--not much progress.
  • My stamina is increasing. The only time I really felt fatigued this week was after biking. 
  • My hair is growing in nicely. I haven't decided what to do with it yet once it reaches that awkward stage where it's too short to do anything with and too long for it to lay down nicely. Updates to come...


As I mentioned last week, this will be my last weekly progress update. I was planning to do "Turtle Tracks" on a monthly basis from here on out but I've decided I'll simply post a new entry for any newsworthy items over the next few months. I'll still be posting regularly and if there is something specific you'd like me to address in an entry or a question/concern/comment you'd like answered let me know and I'd be happy to oblige. 


Happy turtling!


Comments

  1. Thanks for the great update! What did the doctor have to say about your arms? That sounds painful, not to mention frustrating.

    Still waiting for that picture of your smile!

    LizAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I haven't mentioned my arms to her. I keep telling myself they'll just resolve on their own but my Dad thinks I may need physical therapy for them if they don't start shaping up soon. If that's the case, I can always have him write me an order and won't need to bother her. It is super frustrating so I try to focus on the other areas where I'm recovering exceptionally well.
    And I will definitely try and get a picture posted ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Manders! It's nice to hear that you are improving by leaps and bounds. I am still have major balance issues and I am not doing professional PT, just what i do at home. You are 2 weeks ahead of me post-op so hopefully at my 6 week milestone I'll be walking "straighter" and not falling over.

    You are a great inspiration to others getting ready to go through surgery. I hope that those who find the ANA site read your posts. You had complications and are/had overcoming them. You're such a trooper!

    Kixit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you! You are doing amazingly well and you'll be so surprised where you'll be two weeks from now. Clarice (from the ANA forum) sent me some great exercises to do at home. I don't know if you've already gotten them from her but they are super helpful in helping to regain your balance.
      Keep on, keepin' on!

      Delete
  4. Amanda,

    It's so nice to hear that you are doing so great. I will continue to think of you while I go through my surgery experience. Keep up the good work and I will try to listen to my own words!

    Lisa Robie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I'm continuing to pray that you have a smooth surgery and beautiful recovery. :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Amanda,

    Great HAPPY photo! I haven't checked in lately and just did this morning. Good to read about your progress. I'm right there with you on the updates. I have also been having really good days lately. It's so nice to wake up feeling better each day. I haven't tried the pool yet, but I will be going today. You just inspired me to give it a try. I love to swim and have been thinking about going for it. I started back at the gym a few weeks ago and have made big strides in my cardio. So maybe my improved cardio will help me in the pool :)

    We have the same scar. I'm finally starting to have feeling around my surgery site. I wear my hair short, so my scar always shows. However, it doesn't bother me at all. I have nothing to hide. As you know, it's a small price to pay for having our health back.

    Keep up the amazing progress!

    Davecz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave!

      I'm so happy to hear things are progressing well with you too! It's always nice to have a buddy in the trenches who's going through the same thing right along with you. :)

      I've been really trying to increase my stamina these past two weeks, too, to try and get back to where I used to be. Slowly but surely! If you've already been at the gym for a few weeks you should have no trouble in the pool. I didn't go off the diving board or anything because I wasn't sure how the pressure would affect my head but I had no problems with splashing around. Lol

      I just got full feeling back into my surgery site about two weeks ago. That was a happy day. :) I'm quite proud of my scar, though. Even with my hair longer, it'll still show some since it reaches down behind my ear. Which is fine because we have amazing stories to share.

      Wishing you a continued speedy recovery! And thanks again for your encouragement!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave