10 days left...(also, what I'm taking to the hospital)

Well, folks, this it. The final countdown to Iggy's removal. Chicago is finally over (we had 3 great performances!), things have been squared away with work and Zumba, and there's really nothing left for me to do but wait. I know I've technically been waiting for this day since February but knowing that the surgery is next Friday and not two months away, well, it changes things. Oddly, I feel a bit more peaceful now than I have before. I think it's because I've finally accepted that this is happening. I know, I know. You'd think being in denial would result in a calmer state of mind. But I think for me, I was having a bit of an internal struggle between the part of me that had accepted it and the part of me that hadn't. Now that all of me is on the same bandwagon, I feel much better.

I'm still making a superhuman effort though to stay focused on my normal routine and go about business as usual. I've been telling myself that I can freak out all want the night before (I probably won't get much sleep anyway seeing as I'll need to be up at 3:30) but up until then I've got to stick it out and as my friend quite frankly put it just "not think about it." If I expend all my energies on my daily activities then I'll have less energy to spend imagining the worst. I've also decided to try my best to focus on others for these next 10 days. Sure, having brain surgery sucks, but I don't want to turn into this self-absorbed sob story who can't look past herself to help someone else. So my goal this week is to find little ways to brighten the lives of those around me. Taking the focus off myself is a win-win situation. I won't be stressing over my situation and I'll be able to do some good for someone else.

I am still diligently planning ahead for the surgery and recovery. I know I'm going to be bumming around the house for at least a couple of weeks after so I've been stocking up on books, TV shows, movies, recipes and crafty projects to keep me occupied. I'm not sure how many of these activities I'll be up for but it's always best to be prepared. I have heard that some individuals experience problems focusing their eyes for awhile after surgery and have difficulty with reading and looking at computer screens so I'm trying to give myself some options.

My checklist for the hospital is finally complete. I'm probably taking entirely too much stuff but every item I'm taking has been mentioned by at least several people on the ANA forum as being helpful during their hospital stay. Below is a list of what I'm taking and explanations as to why I'm taking them.

THE LIST
- Chapstick (apparently the meds they put you on make your lips painfully dry)
- Throat lozenges (to soothe my throat after being intubated)
- Non-skid slippers (so I don't kill myself walking down the hallway)
- Undies (well, yeah)
- Robe (the hospital robes provided-if provided- tend to leave much to be desired)
- Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash (because no one likes morning breath)
- Glasses-with right earpiece removed (so I can wear them over my bandage)
- Contacts & solution (when I get sick of wearing my glasses and can manage to put them in)
- Earplugs (in case I have a noisy roommate and for any background noise)
- Deodorant (I may look awful but I can at least smell nice)
- Moisturizing soap & lotion (ditto & the hospital bedding can be quite drying)
- Dry shampoo (since I won't be able to wash my hair for awhile)
- Pillow (makes it more like home and mine's more comfortable than the ones provided)
- Fluffin (my stuffed animal--don't judge)
- Comb/brush/hair ties (mainly for my mom's sake if she wants to attempt to do something with my hair)
- Cell phone & charger (to keep everyone updated and vice versa)
- Scarf for hair (we all know it's going to be a hot mess)
- Button down or zip-up top & yoga pants (nothing over the head and nothing tight around the waist)
- Books/Kindle (? = if I'm up for it)
- DVD player (?)

And that's it. I'm sure it will all fit tidily into my little knapsack. If I happen to need anything more or not need something my parents will be shuttling back and forth between the hospital and our house so adjustments can be made.

But now for the exciting news.  My parents have decided to "kidnap" me! My mom called my work and told them that I would not be in this following week as they are taking me to Pennsylvania for a few days prior to the surgery. She was afraid I would be heading into the surgery stressed and, subsequently, not do as well and thought a mini-vacay might be just the thing. I'm not entirely clear on what the itinerary is but I do know we'll be in Pennsylvania from Sunday until Tuesday and, frankly, I couldn't be more thrilled. The thought of escaping for awhile has already started to ease my mind and given me something to look forward to next week other than my surgery.

So that's it, guys. I'm off to do what it is I normally do and NOT think about Iggy or the surgery for the next 10 days. My next entry probably won't be until the night of the 10th when I'm wide awake and a nervous wreck and needing to vent my last-minute thoughts. So until then. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave