Discharge instructions for fellow AN-ers

While I was hugely relieved to be finally going home from the hospital on the 18th, I have to admit part of me was a little terrified to leave my cocoon of nurses and doctors who were monitoring me round the clock. I mean how on earth was I supposed to keep track of everything? Meds, therapy, wound care...it was all just slightly overwhelming.

Thankfully, my mom, trooper that she is, stepped up to the plate so all I had to do was putter along and do whatever she told me. To help keep things straight, I'm going to put a list here (yay, more lists!) of some of the things I had to do post-surgery so you can have a better idea of what you may need to do in the days and weeks after. (Please keep in mind that your post-surgery care is entirely dependent on the symptoms/conditions you end up with and will vary from person to person.)

Medications:
This area will definitely differ from patient to patient as there is a wide range of post-surgery symptoms. For example, I have been blessed with no headaches (except for the monster) or neck pain so I haven't used any of my prescriptions for pain meds. Most of the medications you will be given at discharge will only be used on an as need basis.

I was sent home with an anti-nausea med, a stool softener, and steroids. The anti-nausea med I only used for the first few days since, as my balance improved, the nausea subsided. The stool softener is one of the things you can definitely count on using post-surgery as one of your discharge instructions will be no straining (including during bowel movements!). I'll be on that for two weeks. The steroids I have to be on as well (thanks to my little bout with aseptic meningitis) and am slowly tapering off of. Because my right eye doesn't close all the way, I also have to use artificial tears every 2 hours (or as needed) and then apply a lubricant at night or whenever I take a nap.

Wound Care:
I had translab surgery with a fat graft so I have two incision sites, on my head and right hip. For the first 3-4 days after surgery, Bacitracin was applied on a daily basis to both areas. After that, it's not really necessary to continue applying it unless you want to.The main thing I was told at discharge was to keep the incisions clean and dry. I could shower and wash my hair but I couldn't take a bath until the stitches in my hip were out. They could get wet but couldn't be "submerged."

Once the stitches in my hip were removed this past Friday, I was told to use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water daily to clean the area and help slough off the rest off the scabbed skin.

(Since the stitches in my head are still in I'll come back and update you with the care instructions I receive later.)


Therapy:
As I was one of the unlucky ones who ended up with balance issues, my doctor suggested vestibular therapy as part of my recovery process. It's not a huge time commitment, about 1-2x week for an hour or less and only for a few weeks (or whenever I feel ready to stop). A lot of your body's re-learning will happen as you go about your daily routine and walk (walk, walk!) so the therapy is mainly supplemental. It'll keep you challenged and prevent you from forming bad habits as your body readjusts. The exercises that your therapist gives you will then be performed at home 3 times daily.


Food:
Pretty simple here. You can eat whatever you like. Depending on your nausea/dizziness, though, it may not be much. The only reason I had any sort of appetite was due to the steroids. But, again, this varies widely and if you have no balance issues I'm sure you'll be good to go. Also, be sure to drink lots of fluids.

Sleep:
Take lots of naps! I don't really need to say this as your body will be telling you as much but don't ignore it. Rest is as much a part of the healing process as medications and therapy and your body will need lots of it after surgery. My first few days at home went a lot like this: wake up, eat, shower, nap, walk, nap, lunch, walk, nap, etc, etc. You will get your energy back so don't push it. Besides, when else are you going to have a better excuse to spend your days sleeping? Take advantage of the situation, my friends!

Just as a side note, I was advised to avoid sleeping on the side of surgery for a few weeks. Kind of a bummer if you're a side sleeper like me but, trust me, you'll be tired enough that it won't matter.


Exercise/Physical Activity:
This next section comes directly from my discharge instruction sheet.
- Walk as much as you can, at least 5 times daily
- No heavy lifting (greater than 20lbs), bending over, straining, vigorous activity, or any form of exercise for 1 month
- No driving unless you can turn your head adequately
'Nough said.

That's all, folks! At least for me. Hopefully, many of you can get away without doing half of this stuff. As always, if you have any questions ask away!

Happy turtling!

Comments

  1. Hi amanda!
    Glad to see you're recovering- even if it does seem to be at a turtle's pace-haha. I have been following your blog for quite some time and I'm still amazed that i could even follow your progress through surgery. I am so glad to have found the forum and your blog. My translab is less than a month away now. Keep up the good work! I will continue to pray for you and to follow your recovery.-Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Madison,

    You're exactly right! It does feel like a turtle's pace sometimes. lol If anything I'll definitely have greater patience after this whole ordeal. :)
    So happy the forum and this blog have been able to help you. Best of luck with your surgery and I'll be praying for you as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave