2 weeks post op!

Can you believe it's already been two weeks since Iggy's demise? What a whirlwind it's been! If time keeps up this happy little pace, I'll be at my 6 week milestone before I know it.

I had the pleasure of seeing Dr. Woodson and Dr. Seth yesterday afternoon for my first post-op visit. The plan was to remove my bandage and stitches and send me on my merry way. Yes, that's right. Was. Over the course of this past week, not only did the fluid around the incision refuse to dissipate, but I developed a large seroma (collection of fluid) at the site of my hip incision as well. It actually started leaking (leaking!!) Tuesday night and Wednesday my dad had to apply a pressure bandage to the area to control the swelling. Folks, let me tell you, by the middle of the week I was feeling every bit like the birthday balloon that you find three months after your party and was left to die a slow, leaky death. Between the bandage wrapped around my head and the mass of gauze taped to my hip (which now resembled a waterbed), "patched up" began to take on a whole new meaning.

My heroic efforts to remain in one piece were rewarded somewhat yesterday since the fluid in my hip had receded enough for Dr. Seth to remove my stitches. However, it hadn't receded enough to get me completely off the hook. To ensure that the rest of the swelling continues to goes down, Dr. Woodson gave me specific instructions to go out and buy Spanx to wear for the next week to keep pressure on the area. First, hamburgers, now, Spanx. I like her a little more every visit. She knows about this blog and told me that I would need to be sure and put that on here. Apparently, I'm the first patient she's ever prescribed Spanx for. 

Now, on to my head. As I predicted, the stitches could not be removed as there was still entirely too much fluid around the incision. Dr. Woodson feared it might rupture if she went ahead and took them out. Disappointed doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling. Having your head compressed inside of an ACE bandage 24/7 is not fun. Period. Even more so when it's 80 degrees outside and you'd like nothing more than to feel the warm breeze blowing through your hair (or what's left of it). Add to that the fact that just having to look at yourself all mummified completely torpedoes your morale and you can see why I am not a happy camper. Even more depressing? Dr. Woodson said it can sometimes take up to a month for the swelling to resolve! (Lord, give me patience.) The plan is to give it until next Thursday and if nothing's changed by then I'll get the stitches taken out the following week during my 1 month follow up. For the time being, I'm just going to tie on my jazzy pink scarf and try and think happy thoughts.

****************************************************************

Starting this week and for each week following, I'll be summarizing my weekly progress under "Turtle Tracks." In so many bullet points, I'll track my accomplishments, setbacks, and discoveries for each week so that my recovery process is easier to follow. (That's the plan anyway. The best thing about blogging is you're always just a backspace away from perfection.)

ȍȌȍTURTLE TRACKSȍȌȍ
  • Remember how I was saying my taste seems to be off? Well, I realized it's because I have no taste on the right side of my tongue! I thought my sense of taste had just been altered from the surgery but it turns out those taste buds completely shut off. Here's hoping they turn back on. Soon. (I miss Chipotle.)
  • The bruise on my right arm has completely faded. It was such a monster I figured it would take several weeks at least. I wish all healing happened that quickly.
  • The pressure wounds on my tailbone and ear have also scabbed over and disappeared.
  • Aside from regaining my balance, my arms have been giving me the most trouble this week. They're still very sore and tender and, despite my best efforts, I still can't extend them fully. I've been using heat and massage each day but so far I'm not seeing much progress.
  • It turns out I can't open my mouth all the way. I was attributing this to the enormous bandage wrapped around my head, but no. Apparently, the facial nerve controls quite a lot, including the muscle used to open and shut my jaw. 
  • I also found out this week that not only does my right eye not close completely, it also doesn't tear anymore either. (Yes, I may have cried a little when I realized I was stuck with my bandage for yet another week.)
  • I can get around by myself entirely unaided. Quick head movements still throw me for a loop and more often than not I feel as though I'm carefully lurching along the deck of a ship. BUT I'm miles ahead of where I was during my first walk at the hospital. 
  • My focus continues to stabilize and I can now look at the computer screen and text for longer periods. I'm going to attempt to watch a full-length movie this weekend and see how I do...
  • The drive up to Cleveland went pretty well so I think my body's finally starting to adjust to the pace and movement of the car. However, it does still take me awhile to re-orient myself afterwards. I spend a good ten minutes or so doing the "drunk walk" before I feel myself again.


**You can now be notified by email when new entries are posted on AwkwardTurtles! Just enter your email address in the box at the top right-hand corner of the blog and notifications will automatically be sent to your inbox.**

Comments

  1. Hi Amanda,
    be strong! You will be fully yourself soon. I'm italian and I live in spain, I have you same problem (acoustic neurinoma in my right hear). I've started a blog and I mentioned you as really useful source of information.
    I hope to talk to you soon and receive very good news.
    Hugs!

    antonietta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Antonietta! Many thanks for reading and recommending my blog! It's always a pleasure to meet another AN-er. Especially one from another country! :) I'm sorry to hear you have a neuroma but I can tell that you have a fantastic attitude about the whole thing.
      Have you decided on treatment yet or are you still watch and wait?

      Delete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    my AN is 3,5 cm large so I need to have surgery... I will have surgery in June, so I'm preparing myself for it. It's very useful to read your blog because I was not thinking about many things (for example the weight thing...) and now I'm aware that I will not be able to take care of my son as he is 10kg :D
    I'll try to have a good actitude but sometimes it's not easy... knowing people with my same problem and with a good actitude is helping me, however!
    Keep in contact!!

    anto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Antonietta,

    Yes, there are so many little things you just don't think about beforehand so it's nice to be prepared. The Acoustic Neuroma Association has a great website (www.anausa.org) with a discussion forum that I found to be super helpful in the months leading up to my surgery. I would definitely encourage you to check it out if you haven't already. You'll meet tons of other people who have ANs and they all have plenty to share.
    I know this whole situation is overwhelming at times but you're doing wonderfully. And I'm always here if you need a listening ear. :o)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: the taste buds, I read somewhere that taste is to some extent controlled by the facial nerve. Contrary to popular belief, it does seem to be a sensory nerve, not just a nerve that controls movement. It should come back in time. What did your doctors tell you to expect?

    -LizAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my facial nerve repairs itself, my taste should come back as well I was just looking at some pictures of myself taken at the hospital and just in the two weeks that have passed I can see a noticeable difference in my face. So it is getting better. Hopefully, some day soon I'll wake up and have the rest of my taste buds back too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave