What I really needed at the hospital...

We all know that I worked diligently to properly pack and prepare for (should I say it? oh, alliteration!) my post-surgery hospital stay. I hosted interviews, compiled spreadsheets, used up several stacks of Post-Its, etc. etc. But when it came right down to it, what did I actually need during my week long sojourn at the Cleveland Clinic?

First and foremost...My mama! Oh my goodness, I can honestly say I don't know what I would have done without her. From the time she arrived on Sunday until I was discharged on Friday evening she was constantly by my side. She was my hero, my saint, my Mother Theresa. My helper to the potty, expert sponge-bather, and masseuse. For those of you preparing for surgery, I strongly suggest having someone who can stay with you round the clock if at all possible. It doesn't matter if it's your spouse, sibling, boyfriend, or Great-Aunt Shirley, just have that one person there who can look out for you. Nurses are amazing, wonderful souls but they're busy people. And no matter how much they might like to, they really don't have the time to rub that sore spot on your back until it goes away, or apply your chapstick every 15 minutes, or sit and hold you while you beat and moan on them. 

Chapstick. Don't need to say much here. Just make sure you have it as you will use it. I don't know that it was the meds that dried out my lips, I think it was just dehydration and not being able to moisten them well since I couldn't move my lips normally. Make sure the chapstick is unscented and unflavored since it may increase your nausea otherwise.

Clothes. Now, this might not apply to everyone as my hospital stay was unfortunately extended. If I had been discharged on Tuesday as originally planned then I would have been in the clear in this area. I would say that having a few changes of underwear, 1-2 sets of PJs and one set of comfy street clothes/sweats should do it. I remember wanting to get out of my hospital gown and into my own clothes as soon as possible. Again, this really helps with the whole feeling like yourself again bit.

Fluffin. Yes, I realize I am a 24 year old woman but my pink stuffed dog was literally glued to my side for my entire hospital stay. I'm not saying to go out and purchase a stuffed animal to see you through, but if there is any sort of memento, keepsake, photo, etc. that you feel will give you an extra special dose of strength and love, certainly take it with you. I had to have 6 different IVs done because my veins kept blowing out from the antibiotics and Fluffin dutifully allowed me to squeeze the stuffing out of him each time I teared up.

Scarf. My scarf proved to be quite essential as I ended up getting more hair shaved off than anticipated and especially since my hair looked a hot, matted mess from surgery. When I first got my bandage off (though only for a day), my mom fixed my hair and tied it up with my scarf and in spite of everything I felt like a million bucks. I got so many compliments from the doctors and nurses! (It also covered up my stitches nicely so I didn't scare any small children or animals as we strolled around the hospital.) So, yes, go out before surgery and find yourself a beautiful scarf in your favorite color/pattern. It's certainly worth it. 

While I did use pretty much everything else I packed, it was all inconsequential stuff that didn't make or break my stay and that was typically already provided by the hospital. I mean I had all of my own toiletries with me but the Cleveland Clinic had all of that stuff already (deodorant, toothpaste, lotion) and even provided me with slipper socks so I didn't even use my slippers for the first few days. 

In terms of things to do, the only thing I ended up using was my cell phone briefly. I sent a few texts when I could and then mainly used it to listen to music. I couldn't focus well enough to read the book I brought or watch much TV. This will, again, differ person to person but I think it's best to keep it simple in this area. You won't be at the hospital for long and there'll be plenty of other things to keep you occupied while you are there. Remember, you can always go for walks if you start to get restless.

Overall, I will say that the original list I compiled is a solid one and would encourage you to use that one as a starting point for yourself.  




Comments

  1. Dear Amanda, you have such a way with words. Have you thought of writing a book? And I am so glad that you are feeling better and getting stronger by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherie Mclaughlin-ShirkMay 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM

    Dear Amanda, Just wanted to let you know I have always enjoyed reading about your travels in Australia. THIS however takes the cake. I am so very glad to hear you are doing better and are on the mend. I agree with Karen, you should write a book. I wish you continued good spirits and health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! No, I've never considered writing a book, but who knows? I do enjoy writing and my blogs
    have been such a joy to keep up with. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave