Therapy & toilet paper

(Note: Apologies for this entry. My focus has been really off today and, although I know it's English, I'm not entirely sure what I typed.)


Yesterday was my first session with the vestibular therapist. It was also my first trip out since coming home from the hospital. So far, cars and I aren't really getting along. I guess I didn't notice as much on the way home from Cleveland as my mind was entirely occupied with thoughts of escape. However, yesterday I realized that I get nauseous if I keep my eyes open for too long. I don't get dizzy so much as I think my poor little brain is getting over-stimulated. I've found that it helps to pick a point in the distance and focus on that and when that gets old I just use the time to nap. I'm hoping this won't last very long, just until my gaze starts to stabilize a bit more.

   Bored
Speaking of which, the whole not being able to focus thing is totally wreaking havoc on my Comprehensive List of Things to Do While Waiting For the Hole in My Head to Close. I still can't read my novel or watch TV for long periods or glance back and forth between my sheet music and the keyboard. And I'm not even going near the jigsaw puzzle I bought. Arrgh. (Meanwhile, my little brother thinks I've got it made and has decided he wants to wrap his head in toilet paper so he doesn't have to do anything either.) I can play some guitar and of course I've been doing some blogging as well, but my main source of entertainment has actually been two craft projects I've been working on. My friend introduced me to a fantastic arts & craft blog several weeks ago (abeautifulmess.typepad.com) that has tons of projects for those of us who like to pretend we're creative. :) I would highly suggest a visit to her site if you're looking for some boredom busters during your own down time, whatever the reason may be.

The therapy session itself went well. It was more of an evaluation than anything just to see where I am in terms of my balance and focus. Thankfully, since I have youth and fitness on my side I'm starting out at a good place. The game plan is to spend the next few weeks concentrating on head movement/gaze stabilization and moving with my eyes closed as those are the two areas where I struggle.

I did have a rather interesting moment during one of the balance exercises. My therapist, Wes, had me stand up, close my eyes, extend my arms straight out in front of me, and march in place. Simple enough right? Well, it was certainly trickier than it appeared, but I managed to stay upright and kept marching until he called time. I thought I had done a fantastic job, considering, so I was shocked to find that when I opened my eyes I had completely rotated 45 degrees! The human brain is so amazing. Tweak one little nerve and it completely alters how it behaves. (Needless to say, I performed the same trick when I got home since my family was convinced I had made up the entire thing.)

Tomorrow I head back up to Cleveland to (hopefully) get my stitches removed. Unfortunately, the fluid around my incision site has not gone down so I have a sinking feeling that both the stitches and my bandage are going to be around for a little longer. Please say a prayer that all goes well!

Comments

  1. I am very glad to hear your doing well. I find your blog very interesting as I am watch & wait with a 1.3 cm. I have done a lot of research and found all sorts of medical information. Its really helpful to read about your personal journey. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. WCR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it! That's exactly what this blog is here for. Especially for those in watch and wait, I'm sure you want to get as much information as possible before deciding on a treatment option. Let me know if there's anything at all I can help you with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is really helping me as well... I've been watch and wait for 5 years and just found out in February that it's been growing and it was time to choose treatment. That turned out to be the most difficult decision ever! I finally chose surgery and like you, I want to know everything so your story has been invaluable! Thank you SOO much! One thing I am wondering about is your hearing? Have you noticed much difference? I really hope you got to have your stitches out yesterday and that it was uneventful - if not, I'm sure it won't be long so hang in there! Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corinne! Congrats on making your decision. Once you've finally done your research and decided on an option that you're at peace with, you're well on your way. Are you having translab as well? And where and when are you having it performed? I'll certainly be keeping you in my prayers!

    In regards to my hearing, I suddenly lost all of my hearing on the right side five years ago so I've been SSD for quite some time.(If you go to my very first entry the whole story is on there.)It does take some time to adjust to life with SSD but it is entirely manageable and you'll find little ways to make it work. Crowded, noisy situations will always be tricky as will always making sure that people are located on your good side but, again, you'll adjust. I'm planning to try the Phonak Cros here in a few weeks. It's a non-surgical hearing aid that supposedly works quite well and of course I'll post a review of it here.
    Hth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Elsie Flannigan ... I'm glad your finding things to keep you busy I got quite bored but now regret not "enjoying" the down time !! Life after my AN is just as hectic as it was before - ;) unfortunately !

    Lotty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, she's pretty fantastic! I love how all of her projects can be done by anyone, from beginners to experts.
    I am becoming quite fond of my "vacation time" now since I know in a few short weeks it'll be back to the daily grind. Must take advantage of the situation! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "battle scars"

The Nitty Gritty: Iggy Takes His Leave